new PAS loudness control

Here you can make suggestions for any possible new kits for a PAS preamp and where we make announcements for new kits
Holger
Site Admin

Re: new PAS loudness control

Post by Holger »

as the loudness control is part of the volume control, it does not really matter what type of preamp is used, be it the Aikido or other.
Also, one does not have to have tone controls in order to use the loudness control, because as indicated above, it is part of the volume control.
So, I do not see any reason why you cannot add a loudness control with your Aikido preamp, or ANY topology preamp circuit.
I have not personally done this with the Aikido, as all my preamps have tone controls, as I am a firm believer in tone controls.
Custom Handcrafted Tube Audio Gear
www.erhard-audio.com
Dynaco PAS upgrade kits, PAS upgrade kit forum
North American Lundahl Transformers Distributor
Audio Amp Auto Bias Modules Distributor
fp2000

Post by fp2000 »

I love tone controls too since not all recordings have the precise equalization that my ears demand, but I am curious about the simplicity of not having to deal with it anymore and just let thing be the way they were meant to be. Hence my inclination now to build your aikido preamp and wondering about a loudness circuit added to it.
Would having it hard wired, always on, be a wise decision?
I am also getting the new upgraded version of the phono preamp too, so that will def add more spice into the mix. Not sure what to expect now. My (your) tcla preamp is already a fantastic preamp, albeit a tiny little bit of hum on the right channel that I have learned how to live with. I never got to fix it, but I think now it has to something to do with the volume pot.
Thanks
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I think for the benefit that tone controls offer, it is worth to spend a few seconds adjusting them as one sees fit.
Since the loudness can be switched in or out, again, it is no effort to do that, at least in my mind anyway.

As to your hum, I very much doubt it is the volume control. It would be more something to do with the wiring, perhaps some DC or signal wiring too close to AC wiring, AC wiring not properly twisted and routed away from DC and signal or a possible ground loop.
I have yet to find a hum issue that cannot be fixed. Some are difficult to solve, especially ground loop issues, and a ground loop can be internal to the preamp or external.

I have attached a photo showing how I think a modern PAS should be wired, just as an example. Note, this shows the discontinued Z-PH10 phono preamp

www.erhard-audio.com
SS904

Post by SS904 »

I installed the loudness control in my Aikido equipped PAS. Very nice bump in bass and treble at low volume. It works well with the Aikido as they have no tone controls and this adds a little extra sauce when needed.

Used Front Panel Express to design a new front panel, which is already being updated for the loudness switch location and some other things I could have done better. I have interference from my selector switch wiring in the far left spot. Going to move it over next to the power switch and also move the volume control right next to the selector switch, using the larger knob, as it is in the original. Minor stuff.

Highly recommend the loudness control. Just enough of a bump without making the bass flabby.
IMG_1378a.jpg
IMG_1378a.jpg (112.05 KiB) Viewed 738 times
IMG_1381a.jpg
IMG_1381a.jpg (121.22 KiB) Viewed 738 times
fp2000

Post by fp2000 »

Love it. You did a great job
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

SS904 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:03 pm I installed the loudness control in my Aikido equipped PAS. Very nice bump in bass and treble at low volume. It works well with the Aikido as they have no tone controls and this adds a little extra sauce when needed.

Used Front Panel Express to design a new front panel, which is already being updated for the loudness switch location and some other things I could have done better. I have interference from my selector switch wiring in the far left spot. Going to move it over next to the power switch and also move the volume control right next to the selector switch, using the larger knob, as it is in the original. Minor stuff.

Highly recommend the loudness control. Just enough of a bump without making the bass flabby.

IMG_1378a.jpg
IMG_1381a.jpg
that is looking very nice indeed. Glad the loudness is working out for you and also good to know that it works well with the Aikido.
www.erhard-audio.com